"The parents are the primary healers for the child with autism. Of course, doctors are needed. However, without the parents, there are not enough doctors in the world to make all the observations and implement all the changes that are needed. Parents need to learn a lot, and they need to learn it as fast as possible."
-Polly Hattemer, editor of the Health Forum Books
How to get started with the biomedical intervention*:
1. Put your child on a strict Gluten Free, Casein Free (GFCF) diet. The slightest hint of modified flour, food coloring, butter or any food containing wheat, barley, rye, malt and milk products will put you several steps behind a successful intervention. Gluten can take as long as 9 months in our children's systems while casein normally stays in the body for 3-4 days. Eliminate seafood as well, they have been found to contain high levels of mercury (no fish is exempted).
2. If possible, have laboratory tests conducted to help you make an informed decision on how to go about the treatment protocol for your child's condition. Most DAN doctors collect urine specimens (organic acids tests, pre and post chelator challenges), stool specimens (comprehensive digestive analysis, culture and sensitivities, parasite examination, heavy metals) blood specimens (CBC analysis, IgG antibody levels, food allergies, premier viral panel test) and hair specimens (for heavy metals and essential minerals). For an updated list of DAN doctors, click on this link:
3. Have a treatment plan for your child's gastrointestinal problems (use of antifungals, laxatives, enzymes, probiotics and anti-inflammatory agents for the gut)
4. Next step is restoring nutrients (multivitamin/minerals, fatty acids, cod liver oil, MB12, DMG among others) and boosting the immune system
5. When your child's system is ready, the next move is heavy metals detoxification (chelation). The popular chelators used by many parents are TD DMPS, TD DMSA, EDTA, TTFD, Glutathione, etc.
6. You must realize that what works for one child might not work for another child. There is no such thing as "One Cure Fits All" in the world of autism because the reality is there are different factors why our children's autism came about. You must have a theory on what caused your child's autism (for me, it's viral and inflammation of the gut and brain) and go from there. It might be helpful to go to http://www.healing-arts.org/children/autism-overview.htm to have an idea of the different causes of autism.
7. Lastly, trust your gut. If you are set to explore this intervention for your child, make sure that you back up your intuition with tons and tons of data.
*Not to be taken as a medical advice. It is best to consult a certified DAN doctor on how to properly implement the biomedical intervention to treat autism.